Friday 25 April 2014

Presenting dolls from around the world, but nothing for the One Direction fan.

"I love dolls", began our conversation, between myself and a nine year old visitor.

So I showed her this cabinet in the Horniman Museum
Raffia Doll & Stick, Zambia, Africa
 "Oh, they're so cute."
"What! even that one." I'm not sure I should have passed judgement.
Cute isn't a word, I'd have used.

"That looks like Snow-White."
 I can see where she's coming from.
North America


Poland

 "I love the colours and the pattern. Look at her hair, it looks really beautiful."
Japan
"You could try doing your hair like that at home", I suggested.
"Oh but I've only bought five bobbles with me."

She told me all about visiting her Aunt and Uncle in South East London for the school holidays and she hadn't packed the kind of hair accessories needed to replicate this Japanese doll's hairstyle.

China


 But she wouldn't have minded borrowing these shoes to try on her dolls at home.

We had a great chat about dolls.

That conversation progressed a lot further than the teenager who put me firmly in my place, halting any attempt I made to help her to engage with the collection.
Me, keenly, "What are you interested in?"
She cut me dead with, "One Direction", oh, and a grunt.
There wasn't anywhere I could go with that reply. There are no One Direction dolls in the Horniman Museum, although I believe they do exist.

All the dolls pictured above can be found in the Horniman Museum's Hands-on Base, Discovery For All session, open Sundays.
Details on their website here. 

2 comments:

  1. Now remembering the doll collection I had as a child, my Nan would bring me and my sister dolls back from the different Countries she visited. We weren't allowed to play with them and some were scary looking.
    They sat on a high shelf in our bedroom and stared down at me while I was in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a wooden doll from Bulgaria. She must have been painted with poster paint. I remember her faced smudged when it got wet. Never the same after that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...