Friday 20 February 2015

...a bit like a Chocolate Orange



The opportunity to get objects out of the cabinets in the Hands-on Base
in the Horniman Museum is irresistible to most visitors,
Kids and adults alike.
"Can I have a go with those wind instruments?"

Knowing that I couldn't let him, for health and safety reasons,
(imagine how many people would have put their lips to that flute, if we had let them)
I tried to distract him with these East African Thumb Pianos made with gourds.
They make a brilliant sound.


It didn't work, he wasn't interested,
"OK. Quite cool",
...not until this caught his eye, a shaker made from Brazil nuts.


The sound it made was really quite amazing,
surprisingly whooshy, "awesome" and not clinky.
He's impressed and having a good time.

I remember something and ask him, "Do you know how Brazil Nuts grow?"
We head over to another cabinet.


"In a pod, a bit like a Chocolate Orange."
As I said this, I remembered that I had a Chocolate Orange at home,
in the bottom of my wardrobe, an un-needed Christmas present.

He goes and gets his wife and daughter to show them too.
It seems to have captured their imagination.
I then send them off to the Natural History Gallery to check out the Agouti,
"the only creature apart from us, who can get into a Brazil Nut Pod".


I expect large teeth, but am surprised by the whiskers.


I love the blue background.
I think I'll add this to my collection of photos of museum walls,
along with the yellow behind Chi Chi the Giant Panda which you can read about, here.


At home I find that Chocolate Orange,


 and tell my family all about how Brazil nuts grow.



I should have perhaps shared my chocolate orange, all in the name of learning in museums,
but food and drink are not allowed in the galleries, it encourages pests.

Discovery for All at the Horniman Museum is every Sunday morning in the Hands-on Base.
Details on the website, here.
Chocolate Oranges best left at home.

14 comments:

  1. What a great story! I do find it so hard with visitors who want to touch things at work, at least you have some touching things to let them satisfy their need to have a look up close. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I love working in this session, Discovery for All. After a couple of years, I still get a thrill out if getting objects out of the cabinets. One if my favourite things is the dog-fish skin. (BTW-I deleted my initial comment because of typos)

      Delete
  2. Mmm, a very sweet post. Like Amy I have to be vigilant with visitors who wish to touch. Found myself pouncing on the finger of a very nice man this week - Oh Dear! Those musical instruments are so very interesting, I love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love working with the Horniman Museum's handling collection. Very special.

      Delete
  3. The Hornimann is a little gem of a museum. I love how museums and heritage sites are becoming (slightly!) more interactive. I shall definitely keep the Discovery for All filed away for our next visit to London. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must visit. And I may be working, look out for me, we might meet.

      Delete
    2. I went many years ago when I lived in Forest Hill but am long overdue a return. If I do I will look out for you!

      Delete
  4. Well I never knew that about Brazil nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! As sad as it may sound, I love that Brazil nut pod. It gets people every time. They are always intrigued. Good to learn new things.

      Delete
  5. The thumb-pianos would have worked for me; I have a friend who brought one back from his travels - he's learned to hide it when I visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you should get another & accompany each other!

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! I have never visited the Horniman, though it's on the ever-growing list and several friends love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Horniman Museum. I used to teach at a school in Brockley Rise and we would walk the children to the Museum for your hands on talks. They were wonderful especially the music ones. (Thanks for the info re 2 Temple Place. I will certainly be visiting before April. I have been to the Wallace Collection but it was too far away from Regent's Park tube to include.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...