Wednesday 13 May 2015

Larrakitj at the British Museum


 I rarely go to museums alone. However yesterday I found myself at the British Museum with not only time to spare, but also alone. It felt like such a luxury. For a short time, about 45 minutes, I had no agenda, I could do and see what I liked. This is what happened.
Just through the entrance, to the right, I spotted these, Larrakitj.


An art installation by Wukun Wanambi from northern Australia.


Traditionally Larrakitj are Aboriginal hollow memorial poles, used as coffins by the Yolngu from Arnhem Land. Stringybark Eucalyptus trees are specially chosen and stripped, their surface prepared for painting. They are then painted with the design of a clan, filled with the bones of the deceased and put in the landscape for the wind and rain to gradually wear them away.


I found this really moving, yet felt slightly uncomfortable. Was this something I should be privy to? Is this not a private affair, laying your clan to rest. However these aren't coffins, they are art works which Wukun tells us he has made to "communicate Yolngu values and beliefs to outsiders". 


Wukun painted the surface of these Larrakitj with shoals of sea mullet, the design of his own clan.



I really liked being with these Larrakitj, I'm not quite sure why. I didn't feel like an "outsider". I loved the sense of movement in the sea mullet design. Loads of fish packed in, but not at all claustrophobic nor chaotic. They all seem to know where they are heading, moving in the same direction. It always amazes me how shoals of fish move seamlessly together without bumping into each other and making a right mess of things. I think Wukun has captured that so beautifully. It gives me a real sense of calm. I can imagine the therapeutic nature of painting these fish onto the prepared trunks. Doing what his ancestors had done, continuing a tradition.


He has also captured something of a very busy British Museum.


I won't tell him that I actually had this gallery all to myself for a very short while.
No shoals here, just me.


You have until 25th May to see Larrakitj: Aboriginal memorial poles buy Wukun Wanambi at the British Museum. Details on their website here.

18 comments:

  1. I often don't 'get' art. But I think I could get this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the best comment I've ever had! And surely the reason we blog about the things we do. To inspire people to see things. Thanks Mike.

      Delete
  2. "Is this not a private affair, laying your clan to rest."
    Well, obviously not, to them. These 'coffins' are designed to be in the landscape, and visible to anyone who passes by. I don't see them as any more private than the huge tombs and memorials of Victorian graveyards.
    To a certain extent anything in a museum is an example of someone's -probably private - life. It's all a bit voyeuristic. I think I might have a blog post coming on here.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you do have a blog post coming on. It was funny how I had a moment of "should I be seeing this"? I needed to see the artist's quote on the wall saying tit was OK. Then it struck me how powerful it was that he had made something for the public to see in a national museum, yet it felt so intimate. I'll be watching your blog...

      Delete
  3. How beautiful. I'm going with a friend to the British Museum on Monday so look forward to seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it. It was quite textiley, looked a bit stitchy. May meet you at Prism.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of memorial poles before and was amazed by these. Those fishes, the details, I'd have enjoyed this exhibition too. Wish we live nearer to London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of them before too. And now I love the idea of them being put into the landscape to we worn away by the rain & wind.

      Delete

  5. I'd rather look at these than graveyards full of toppled headstones and indecipherable inscriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely there's a place for both. perhaps tree trunks would rot too quickly in our damp climate. Mind you they're talking about reusing graves over 150 years old in SE London because they are running out of space.

      Delete
    2. continued... Memorial poles could just well solve the space problem.

      Delete
  6. Aboriginal art is instantly recognisable, all those closely spaced fish, often it's dots. What amazes me is how much energy and movement they pack in to their art. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work did have so much energy about it, yet felt so calm and peaceful. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  7. How lovely. I think I'd like to end up in a memorial pole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating. I've learned something new this morning.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Katherine, Enjoyed your article. I'm the editor of a small magazine/ newsletter published by a peak body for Aboriginal art based in Darwin where Wukun Wanambi is on the board of directors. We are publishing an article on Wukun's installation at the British Museum and are having trouble locating good images. I'm wondering if you might have high resolution copies of these shots (over 1 mg). We can gain permission easily to reproduce from his Art Centre Buku Larrnnggay Mulka and would of course credit the photographer.

    Please email ceo@ankaaa.au Many Thanks in anticipation, Christina Davidson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, I've tried emailing but the adress you gave me didn't work. Please get in touch again. Katharine

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...